Sunday, March 6, 2011


March 7th, 2011: Induction-Day

It's been a good weekend with Tia, Tio, Lyla, Jack, Grandma & DD here to distract us from the fact that Roly Poly is running behind schedule. For one thing, it took away all the fears I've had for the past 41 weeks that they wouldn't make it to Cincinnati for the birth and it's kept a very impatient Josie preoccupied as well. are the details (don't read on if things like a gal's cervix freak you out). At 1pm tomorrow we have an appointment in our doctor's office to have my membranes stripped. (Note: this is the exact thing that we had done at the 40 week mark with Josie and feel like it was the reason for our long and difficult labor with her.) As far as induction techniques go, this is widely considered the least invasive of medical interventions - and just trust me when I say we've tried all the non-medical methods. **Hopefully** this will kick things into gear and we'll shortly be in labor ourselves without further intervention.  It worked with Josie, so we are confident it will.

If not, at 1am tomorrow night (technically 1am Tuesday 3/7/11) we will be officially induced at Good Samaritan Hospital. (Yes, 1am which is crazy but they schedule them every two hours 24/7 - don't get me started on the insanity of this. Likely the topic of a later post.)  And here is where I reach out to all of you for your advice - if things haven't started on their own by 1am, I will have the choice between having my water broken or starting on pitocin. Does anyone out there know which is the lesser of two evils?  (My gut says go for broken water over pit but my water broke with Josie with my fourth contraction and I labored for 18 hours sans water & have heard that labor after broken water is more intense than labor with water. So - I guess the question is: would it be better - knowing that we are going for another natural, unmedicated birth -  to go on low-dose pit with my water intact or to break my water and hope I don't have to ever have the pit? Thoughts?! Experience? Anyone?)

So - that's the "plan".  In other news, please send Josie some love. She's a super-emotional, way-more-sensitive-than-usual, pretty-darn-freaked-out-about-the-whole-thing little girl right now.  Luckily, she's great at communicating with us and we've been able to address some of her fears (which range from thinking cousin Lyla is going to take Roly Poly with her back to Chicago to believing that Lou & I are going to have to stay at the hospital for 100 days).  It's a pretty emotional time for the Schneiders. Thanks for the love.

We will keep everyone posted here and on facebook.  Stay tuned...

(Oh - I forgot to mention - there is actually good reason for this induction tomorrow. I'm not going to actually go into it right now, but I promise you all that you will agree with our decision 100%.)


Suzie, Michelle and Makayla said...

Carri, you have seen the evidence of pitocin induced natural, hypnobirth!!! It can happen if that's what you choose. Take control of every aspect that you have the power to be in control of. I chose to ignore the fact that every surge was controlled by the drugs running through my veins and focus on the fact that every surge got me closer and closer to holding Makayla in my arms. I talked to her silently through every surge. Stay in your zone and always remember the gift that you will have given that beautiful baby girl by sticking to your beliefs that natural is better. Also, don't forget that Makayla was born exactly 4hrs and 28 mins after they turned the pitocin on...after a hard 18 hours with Josie, you can do this. I have total faith in you and your body's ability to do what it was designed to do. Here's to an amazing day for you, Louie and Roly Poly. Hugs and kisses:)

Carrie Schmitt said...

You are all in our thoughts at this exciting time! I wouldn't worry too much about being induced--when I was a doula I saw it used effectively many times to start labors that proceed beautifully. I wouldn't be surprised if stripping your membranes is enough to trigger the process. And, I wouldn't necessarily connect this with Josie getting stuck--babies get stuck even when moms spontaneously go into labor. As far as water broken or pitocin, I think it's definitely a personal choice. I'm not sure which way I would go becausee there are trade-offs either way. Pitocin is nice because you can turn it off when things get moving (hopefully) but breaking the water might really speed up labor. Hmmm...I'm sure you will make the right decision by following your instinct. But, I am hopeful that stripping the membranes will do it! I'd definitely focus, meditate and talk to the baby after that and squat, squat, squat and briskly walk, walk, walk. Blessed be, sister. You are going to rock this! And, I can't wait to see photos of this strong little girl!!!!!! And, find out the name:) Call me anytime--even if it is in the middle of the night and you are in labor!

Carrie Schmitt said...

I just wanted to add one thing. I've seen some labors seem to be stalled until the water broke. Even though it is more intense without that cushion, it seems to speed things up sometimes. I remember a client who wanted a natural birth and resisted having her water broken for many hours and it was tough. But, as soon as she decided to have the water broken the baby was born almost immediately. (I know this was true for me as well!) Just offering feedback and observations;) Not trying to advise either way. Perhaps I'd start with Pitocin and when in labor if things need a little help, then consider breaking water. I still don't know for sure what I'd do. That would just be one consideration.

Melissa said...

I had both! First they broke my water, then 6-7 hrs later we started pitocin (and sadly the epidural, but that's in MY birth story, not yours!). They started the pitocin low and only bumped it up once. Jonah was born a little more than four hours later, I was complete within in two hours or so! I think, if I had it do over, I'd take the low dose pitocin first. Then I wouldn't have gone through countless hours of futile labor and been more mentally and physically awake to not have the epidural ang go natural. That said, my son is a healthy, beautiful, happy, breastfeeding (immediately after birth) baby so I have zero regrets. However roly poly bunny baby girl comes out is going to amazingly beautiful. Your heart will grow twice it's size to fit all the love for her and lose none for Josie. Pitocin, water breakage, stripped membranes will be a thing of the past and you can look to your future as the Four Schneiders! I am on high alert up here in Akron and very much looking forward to her debut. Lots of love and hugs, Missy

Linda said...

I have no advice about the procedural questions worrying you, but feel moved to encourage you not to set your sights too firmly on a particular kind of birth experience. You can't anticipate how it will go, so be open to all options and accept the one that turns out to be this birth as the one you've been granted. There's no right way and there's no wrong way to do this. The strength and love of you and your family are all that are absolute requirements, and you have those in abundance.

Anonymous said...

Carri, praying for you all. Hang in there. Sending lots of love Josie's way. Laurie

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you and wishing you all the best! As far as using pitocin or not, I don't have experience with it. I have experienced being in labor with and without water breaking and prefer water intact as long as possible for "cushioning" (if given the choice). But, every situation is different and I'm sure whatever decision you make will be "right". Just go with your instinct and focus on that wonderful feeling of holding your little girl very soon! Sending hugs your way!
Cindy Davidson

Charissa Talsma said...

Dear Carrie--

I had to have pitocin for both Violet and Miles, for different reasons. With Violet, my water broke, but there was nothing else going on. She had already passed her first bm and they were concerned about her health. I was still able to have a regular birth sans epidural.

With Miles, they stripped my membrane on Monday, and Thursday morning when we went in, I was having very random contractions, but nothing regular or strong and my water hadn't broken. We had my water broken and did the pitocin at the same time. We did end up turning it off during the pushing phase because he was so big, I needed time to be able to get him down and around everything. He was 'officially' a week late, and I'm glad we ended up inducing when we did because I feel we would have had to go the c-section route if we had waited any longer.

Whatever you decide will be best for you. And just remember--these are the issues you never dreamed you would need to worry about and at the end, you are going to have a beautiful baby girl!

K.T.F. said...

Well Carri,

I recommend going inward and listening to your gut. I will say that in my experience with Eli, my water broke and he was born 30 minutes later. I believe that it helped him to engage lower and I kept walking during that labor. I believe it really helped to face the pain and not be afraid of it. Just to know that it was bringing me closer to my little Eli bear.

Stay strong, stay focued and stay open to your birth. I'll be lighting a candle for you.


Nick and Kelly Robbe said...

Lighting my candle as well Carri. Love you and bunny! Sending calm relaxing thoughts for Posie!